Thursday, December 17, 2009

CoverGirl Lash Blast Mascara - About $8 in drugstores


I want to discuss this product for a very specific reason: I actually went out and bought this product in direct response to a TV commercial I saw for it.

As advertising creatives, we are presumed to be immune to the siren's song of slogans and onslaught of shimmering celebrity spokespeople. But we are consumers, too. And we often pay closer attention to ads (especially television ads) - not to mention scrutinize them more intensely - then your average Jane Schmoe on the street. As such, we're keenly aware of our response to ads, and often, we find ourselves wondering if somewhere out there, someone is enjoying an ad we made, and has jotted down our client's product on their to-buy list.

We are also quite hard on our peers - we jeer at "bad" ads, and most of us are much too cynical to appreciate a cute baby, puppy, or child who may appear in a so-called "sappy" ad. On the other hand, there are ads I love that are selling products I'll never buy (for instance, every Nike ad ever made - I am the least athletic person alive and thus have no need for quality athletic apparel, yet Nike ads have made me drool for as long as I can remember, and were a major impetus for me to get into the biz in the first place).

That's why I wanted to share my CoverGirl Lash Blast experience. The particular ad I saw claimed that the Lash Blast launch was the most successful mascara launch in history (or something like that). I consciously thought to myself, Wow, if it's that successful, it must be pretty special.

And that was the moment that (a) receptivity to a specific message, (b) emotion, and (c) a physical need converged in the much-sought-after Big Bang moment. That ad reached the right person, at the right time, with the right message. I happened to be in the market for a new mascara; in fact, I wanted a mascara that delivered more dramatic results, with the intention of wearing it out during the holiday party season.

Enter Drew Barrymore, batting her gorgeous, impossibly luxe lashes while saying that, in her opinion, "the bigger, the better." Frankly, when it comes to lashes, I could not agree more.

Cut to me in CVS the very next day, unmistakeable orange packaging in hand.

Luck for me and my lashes, the product really delivers on its "bigger, better" promise. I even went so far as to tell my girlfriends that this product is "CoverGirl's gift to womankind."

And that kind of consumer-to-consumer advertising is something not even CoverGirl's budget could buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment