Monday, December 21, 2009

Meyer's Clean Day (Geranium Scent) and Dish Liquid (Lemon Verbena Scent), $4.99 each at Treasure Island


Buying decisions aren't always made alone.

Sometimes, they start fights in grocery store aisles. FIghts between co-habitating adults about (hypothetically speaking, here) the comparative merits of natural, nice-smelling cleaning products and chemical-laden, sick-ward-scented products.

Forgive my sweeping generalization, but these fights are more often than not won by the person who shoulders the bulk of the household cleaning duties; often, that is the female head of the household.

Point being: the harsh Lysol was left on the shelf while the beautifully packaged and pleasantly scented (and more expensive) Meyer's Clean Day products made it back to our humble abode.

The specific reasons for purchase were:

1. Even before it was "cool" to hate harsh chemical cleaners, I hated harsh chemical cleaners. If killing every last microbe was my first priority, I'd just clean my house with straight bleach. I do my very best to not let raw meat drip all over my countertop, and when it does, I immediately disinfect. But for day-to-day cleaning of a variety of surfaces that in all likelihood are NOT populated with deadly bacteria, I prefer gentler, more fragrant products.

2. The packaging. It's adorable! So adorable, in fact, that I left both items out on my countertop - easy to access and fun to look at.

3. The scent. The geranium scent is intoxicating! It made me WANT to clean the countertops! And the coffee table! And the dining room table! And...the nightstand! Sure, why not? The Lemon Verbena scent is also wonderful, and the dish liquid itself also lathers a bit more than other "natural" cleaners (such as the Seventh Generation stuff I've been using for awhile now).

4. Although these products are a little more expensive than traditional products, they're not THAT much more expensive. And buying something that makes me WANT to clean? That's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment